
This came out today and the reviews so far have been pretty unremarkable. Pitchfork gave it like a five, and the AVClub gave it a C rating but, fuck that noise, this album is straight-up fun. Sweet Apple take all the best elements from 70's rock (even the ballads) and cranks the intensity up to ten. It sounds like Thin Lizzy mixed with Big Star, The Replacements and Hüsker Dü, but with J Mascis on drums (and the occasional very recognizable guitar solo and back-up vocal). I can tell you right now that this is going to be the soundtrack to my summer, dimed on the car stereo while I cruise around with the windows down screaming the lyrics out and totally bumming out squares. Get hip.
Pitchfork has the worst music reviews ever. Most albums I like (most of them dont get reviewed) usually get a bad score, and albums I hate get great scores.
ReplyDeleteThey also have a problem giving any new album a score over 9.
ReplyDelete